Do you know the SAAQ’s Vehicle Adaptation Program (VAP)?
La Société de l ‘assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ) may grant financial assistance for the adaptation of a road vehicle to allow those with a disability to have access to a vehicle (as a passenger or driver). Some restrictions apply.
Here are the conditions associated for this program:
- Only one vehicle can be adapted;
- You must intend to use the vehicle for at least 5 years;
- If the vehicle is used, proof of inspection that the vehicle is in good mechanical condition may be required;
- This vehicle must be yours, or that of a relative with whom you travel frequently; , or a long-term rented vehicle. In this case, you must obtain permission from the lessor (eg dealer) to make the changes;
- This vehicle must be the one you use for your day-to-day errands , ie a passenger vehicle, for example: automobile, SUV, minivan.
The SAAQ reimburses expenses related to:
- the purchase and installation of equipment recommended by an occupational therapist;
- the addition of equipment, if the needs have changed since the adaptation of the vehicle;
- maintenance and repair of authorized equipment, if it is no longer covered by the warranty;
- the mechanical inspection required when modifications to the vehicle may compromise its stability or braking.
For more information :
Contact La société d’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ)
Phone: 1 800 525-7719